- An activation code is just a quicker way to sign in
- Not a substitute for TV provider username/password
- Only used on Roku, Apple TV, Android TV and Samsung TV
How They Work
You get an activation code when you need to sign in with your TV service provider information. The code is a sort of shortcut, so you don’t have to type in everything with a remote control.
When using Roku, Apple TV, Android TV or Samsung TV:
- You select “Sign In” or you try to watch some content that requires a sign-in
- Your TV screen displays a code.
- Using a computer or mobile web browser, you go to www.amc.com/activate
- You enter the code--that’s how we identify what device is being authenticated.
- Now you follow through with your TV provider username/password.
- This part is the same as any regular sign-in process. When complete, your TV screen will refresh: the code is gone and you are back at the last screen, but now signed in.
Can I get AMC without a pay TV provider?
No. An activation code is not a substitute for a TV provider. It’s just a more convenient way of entering your provider username/password.
I think something went wrong… there’s no place to enter the activation code.
Are you using an Android device to open www.amc.com/activate?
If so, then the problem here is just a little shortcut action that the device is taking. When it sees any link starting with amc.com, it opens the AMC app for you. Android does this because it's usually convenient, but in this case unfortunately it's blocking your ability to activate.
This is not something AMC controls or implements--it's just an Android option that can apply to any app.The solution is to reset your device's default action so that it doesn't automatically open the AMC app anymore.
Here are the steps to do that:
- Open your device's Settings app.
- Select Apps (it might be called "Apps and Notifications").
- Select the AMC app.
- Tap "Open by default" and then "Open in this app".
- Select "Don't open in this app" or "Ask every time".
- After clearing the default, when you use go to our website again, if your device asks you how you want to open it, select "Open With Chrome" (or whatever web browser you are using).
- Now you are ready to bring up the www.amc.com/activate page again, which should work fine for you going forward.